Pets

Pet Safety at Home with Toxic House Plants That Can Make Your Dog or Cat Sick

Pet owners may want to select house plants and their locations in their home carefully; as many plants are harmful and poisonous to animals and humans alike. Even up to death! If symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal urine, salivation, weakness, difficult breathing, or any other abnormal conditions occur, immediately take your pet to the veterinarian in the event he/she may be poisoned.

Four of the Most Poisonous Houseplants are:

  • Aloe Vera Plant
  • Dieffenbachia
  • Poinsettia's
  • Sago Palm

Aloe Vera

There are many varieties of Aloe Vera Plants which have various medicinal uses.

However aloe plants are toxic to dogs but only when they eat the pulp and juice. There are 100’s of species, that comes in various forms– woody shrubs and sometimes vines

Toxins: Saponins

Severity: Mild to Moderate

Parts of the Plant that’s dangerous: Pulp and Juice

Symptoms: Vomiting, depression, diarrhea, lack of appetite, change in the color of urine.

 

Advertisement

Dieffenbachia

Is one of the most popular and one of the easiest houseplants you can grow at your home. However be careful if you’re pet dog or cat is playful; chewing or biting into this plant can cause injury and make them sick.

Toxins: Insoluble calcium oxalates, proteolytic enzyme

Severity: Moderate

Parts of the Plant: The Entire plant

Symptoms: Mucous membrane irritation, intense burning, and irritation of the mouth and lips, tongue, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty in swallowing.

The Sago Palm

The Sago Palm is one of the favorites of many gardeners and landscapers. However this plant can be dangerous if any part of this plant is consumed by your dog. It contains a toxin called Cycasin, which is known to cause liver damage.

Toxins: Cycasin

Severity: Very high

Parts of the Plant Not to be eaten: The entire whole plant

Symptoms: Vomiting, jaundice, increased thirst, hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, bruising, clotting disorder, liver damage, liver failure, and even death.

Poinsettia Plants

Poisonous to both Cats and Dogs:

These plants are everywhere in winter, especially at Christmas time.  The milky white sap found in poinsettias contains chemicals called diterpenoid euphorbol esters and saponin-like detergents.  When eaten, mild signs of vomiting, drooling, or rarely, diarrhea may be seen. If the milky sap is exposed to skin, dermal irritation (including redness, swelling, and itchiness) may develop. Eye exposure can result in mild irritation.

Make sure you keep these plants high up for those dog owners.  For cat owners just don’t bring them home. Consider buying silk versions instead.

Severity: Generally mild

Symptoms: Drooling, Licking lips, Vomiting, Diarrhea, Skin irritation (including redness, swelling, and itchiness), Eye irritation


BEST OF HEALTHCARE
MENU